Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Review: LUSH Snow Fairy Shower Gel (& First Online Order)

After hearing so much about Snow Fairy Shower Gel, I decided to try a small bottle.

When the Lush Xmas In July Sale was originally on, Snow Fairy sold out the very same day, so I missed out. :(

A few days later however, Lush Australasia tweeted that they had more stock in. I had a free shipping code given to me when my local Lush closed down so I decided to take advantage of it & created an online order.

First Impressions of Lush Mail Order

Ordering was a little frustrating as I accidently typed in the wrong expiry date for my credit card. Instead of letting me go back & correct it, I had to start a new order all over again.

My products were delivered in 4 days, which is longer than what I'm used to, considering Lush are in Sydney too.

Snow Fairy Shower Gel

This is what Lush say about Snow Fairy:
Sparkly, candy floss pink, sweet-as-sugar shower gel for fruity, fluffy fairies. Only visiting for Christmas ! Lather all over your body (and your hair when you're in a hurry)
Snow Fairy is known as a seasonal/limited edition product, only sold during the Christmas period (November/December) & it seems, Xmas In July. This is fantastic marketing as it's very much in demand. I often see people mention online that they always "stock up" on many bottles to last until it's sold again.

If people are clambering over each other to get their hands on the "Fairy" it has to be good right??????

How Does It Smell?

I was already familiar with the Snow Fairy scent as I have the Snow Fairy Lip Tint. The Lip Tint has a lovely strong scent which appeals to my sweet tooth as it's very similar to Red Frog lollies.

The Snow Fairy Shower Gel is similar, especially when you "sniff" it from the bottle, however when you actually use it, it also has a strange chemical note which reminds me of paint. This surprised me as I haven't noticed any strange scents in their other products. I tried shaking it up to mix the product in case it had settled, to no avail.

Looking at the ingredients, it doesn't have any of the essential oils that some Lush products have, not even vanilla - it's just perfume & chemicals. No wonder it smells artificial. Considering the lack of expensive ingredients, Snow Fairy should be cheap to make, but Lush charges a lot for it anyway.

How Does It Clean?

It seems to clean & lather fine - just like drug store shower gels containing perfume & glycerine, nothing special. My skin doesn't seem to be any softer than drug store shower gels.

How Does It Look?

Snow Fairy is a nice shade of pink, but the only thing I really like about this gel is the pretty purple glitter. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to stay on your skin. This could be a good thing for some people, but being the one redeeming feature of Snow Fairy, I hoped that the glitter would stick around. It doesn't. :( It also settles at bottom of the bottle. To send the glitter back through the bottle, you have to store Snow Fairy upside down.

Verdict

The strange chemical note is a huge disappointment to me, as without that I would probably really enjoy using this gel, chemicals or not.

I will probably use the bottle up, as it wasn't cheap, but I won't be purchasing Snow Fairy Shower Gel again. Not even for the purple glitter. I will stick to my I Love... Raspberry & Blackberry or Strawberries & Milkshake Bubble Bath & Shower Gel which actually have virtually the same ingredients however are much cheaper, & smell so much better.

If you're reading about the Snow Fairy hype & want to try it, I would suggest going to a store at Christmas time to get a sample just in case you don't end up liking it.

My rating: 2 out of 10

5 comments:

Su said...

Great review! I have heard a lot about Snow Fairy but my experience with Lush has left me with headaches! But I will have to try this out as everyone loves it. I agree, Lush is overpriced.

KeLLSTaR said...

Thanks Su! It's definitely something you have to try out. I was disappointed though as I already liked the lip tint scent.

Were your headaches from the shop smell, or from something else?

emmabovary said...

An interesting review, I didn't hate Snow Fairy upon first sniff but didn't like it enough to buy it.

Gaby Fauchon said...

Honestly, I must say I was a little disappointed with Snow Fairy when I finally had the chance to try it for myself after hearing all the hype about it. Yes it smells great, but that's all for me! I won't pay such a steep price again only for the smell!

KeLLSTaR said...

@emmabovery, I normally wouldn't buy something like Snow Fairy but I liked the scent in the lip tint & thought it might be a fun little thing to use every now and again. Sad, now I will be using it just to get rid of it.

@G A B Y, same here. There are too many shower gels on the market that smell better.

Post a Comment