Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Returns Experience with Kit Cosmetics

You may have seen on an earlier blog my purchase of the Too Faced Eye Shadow Insurance Policy Palette from Kit Cosmetics.

I also noted in the same blog my disappointment upon opening the package to find swatch marks on a couple of the eyeshadows. I was really disappointed as I was going to give the palette away as a gift for Christmas.

This was my very first purchase from Kit Cosmetics.

Due to the busy holiday period I did not get the chance to call Kit but made a comment on Twitter about the swatches. Kit Cosmetics saw my tweet & replied asking me to call them so they could fix it up. I was impressed by this & gave them a call.

I spoke to a CSR & told her about the swatch marks on the palette. She was apologetic & explained their return policy. She asked me if it was the $24.95 palette & I advised her that I didn't buy it at sale price, it was $49.95 (wish I'd waited but never mind, these things happen & it still seemed like a bargain - before I saw the finger marks). She asked me to post the complete palette to them so they could look at it, and send me a new palette back to them. I posted the tube of  TSII & the palette to Kit at my cost (probably about $6.50).

I hadn't heard from Kit Cosmetics for about a week when I sent them a message through their website. I received a reply back & they said they received the palette & upon inspection they found that the marks were due to pressing errors from the manufacturer, but they would express post a new palette anyway.

Now, I have purchased a lot of eyeshadows in my life, from high end, mid range & drug store brands however I've NEVER seen any "manufacturer faults" that look like swatches. I wish I'd kept a photo of the palette. I know that they were DEFINITELY swatch marks. They had the tell tale circular finger marks of someone swatching & testing at least two eyeshadows. I didn't reply.

I felt disgusted that I bought a product which was essentially 2nd hand. I've had eye issues & know the havoc that bacteria can cause to your eyes. There was no way that I would use eyeshadows that have been swatched let alone give it away to someone else.

So, I received the replacement palette last week & it looks untouched. Problem solved right?

What did I think of the returns procedure?

The woman I spoke to on the phone was nice, there's no problem with that. I sent them a "faulty" product & they sent me a new one, there's no problem with that. However I'm not terribly impressed that I had to go out of my way & spend extra money to post it to them at my own cost & no fault of my own.

I realise that companies probably get odd calls from people trying to scam them all the time, but for me I would not have taken the time or spent the money to send it back if I there was no reason to. Also, that brought the palette up to about $56.45 so my original "bargain" was disappearing.

I feel that Kit Cosmetics should have sent something extra to acknowledge my effort. Something worth $5? $2? A couple of samples? A 10% off your next purchase voucher? A $1 off your next purchase voucher? It wouldn't have mattered what the value of the "extra thing" was, it's the gesture of goodwill that counts. Even if they believe that the marks are "manufacturer marks".

You may think I'm after something for nothing, no, that's not it. It costs a lot of money to get new customers, but not a lot to keep current customers happy. Customer retention should be a priority

Because of this, this will be the first and the last time I will be purchasing anything from Kit Cosmetics. It's a shame because I love TFSI & will be repurchasing it, but not from them. I'll source another retail company, or even online store to get future tubes.

Last but not least I've learnt a new lesson - CHECK ALL PRODUCTS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE STORE!

My Rating for Kit Cosmetics: 0 out of 10

5 comments:

Jadegrrrl said...

What a bummer, I'd be pretty pissed about having to send stuff back and pay my own postage!

Dee said...

I'm with Jade. That's crappy service. I'd probably write and complain about it.

It sounds like what happened with the Naked palettes from Sephora recently - people were complaining they had been swatched but Sephora were claiming it was something to do with the pressing. And yet, this kind of thing has never happened before that I know of. Dodgy.

KeLLSTaR said...

Jadegrrl, yes I wasn't happy about that but wanted to be reasonable if that makes sense. I hoped they would be too.

Dee, exactly! The Naked Palette issue struck close to home. It all comes down to the same thing - quality control & customer service.

Also both companies are giving the cosmetic companies a bad rap, I'm sure they wouldn't be impressed.

petitderriere said...

Oh wow that is horrible! It's actually one of my fears to get home and open new makeup to find it used. I can't believe they didn't reimburse you for the postage.

I've been purchasing products from Kit Cosmetics in Myer in the City down here in Melbourne and the products and service have been good. I bought the same Too Faced palette too. Is Too Faced sold in any stores up there?

KeLLSTaR said...

Hey PetitDerriere! As far as I know TF is only sold physically in Kit Cosmetics retail stores, there are probably places online that hold it but I really haven't looked yet. I do know that beautybay.com has it as I saw it when I got the UD Naked Palette.

Post a Comment