Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Review: LUSH Curly Wurly Liquid Shampoo

On one of my last few visits to Lush I was given a sample of one of their liquid shampoos called Curly Wurly. I've never tried any of their shampoos before so it was quite interesting.

Here's what Lush says about it:
"Absolutely gorgeous, preservative-free coconut and vanilla shampoo to calm curls and tame tangles. Curly Wurly makes thick, unruly curls behave. It’s bursting with nutritious coconut and heaps of natural butters to help nurture dry hair and eliminate frizz. Use with Coolaulin conditioner for tamed tresses fragranced with coconut and vanilla."
Using Curly Wurly
Curly Wurly is marketed to people with Curly hair (hence the name). My hair is fine, straight with slight waves (when it wants). I find that despite not being the intended hair type it worked well for me.

The consistency of this shampoo is unlike any other - it's quite "mushy" with an odd beige orange colour with actual pieces of coconut mixed throughout. I've read of others having trouble washing these pieces out of their hair but I haven't had this issue at all & don't even spend extra time rinsing. The coconut just comes out. I'm guessing that people who actually have curly hair may be the leftover coconut victims.

One thing that surprised me is that I only have to use a tiny amount to get a good clean - I scoop about just over a pea size out of the container & then rub this between wet hands. Although the product lathers it's a tiny almost unnoticeable amount. I then rub it through my hair starting at the back.

The first time I used Curly Wurly I was quite sceptical. When you rub it through your hair it does not feel like its actually doing anything. It's not until the product is rinsed out that I felt my hair was cleaner, but also softer as if I had used a conditioner. Once dry my hair is very soft, shiny & manageable. I find that I don't actually need to use a conditioner when I use Curly Wurly.

The Scent
I have to say, the first time I smelt the product I was, well, not impressed. It has Absolute Vanilla oil (my favourite essential oil) as well as Coconut Oil (and pieces) but there's something that gives it a strange scent. Possibly the egg? It's not TOO off-putting to use it thankfully. My hair smells divine (a vanilla coconut scent of course) once it dries, so the strangeness in the unused product doesn't really matter

The Cost
Curly Wurly is $20.50AU for a 220g tub. This does seem quite steep but I imagine that it will last a long time with the amount I use. Being preservative free the product does expire, however the label indicates almost a year & 3 months until the end of life. It will be interesting to see if I run out before or still have some product left then.

The Verdict
I haven't finished my sample yet however I was pleased enough to go back to Lush & buy the full product. I still see a few more washes from my sample, but I hate to run out of things I like!

I really like using Curly Wurly so I see myself repurchasing it again when my tub runs out. Due to the coconut oil in the product I won't use this every time I shampoo as I don't want it to build up in my hair, so I alternate with my other products. I usually team Curly Wurly with Lush Cosmetics American Cream conditioner, just to add the American Cream scent.

I'd recommend that you ask for a sample to see how you like it, but just make sure you rinse it out well so you don't have coconut pieces stuck in your hair - particularly if you actually have Curly Wurly hair.

My Rating: 8.5 out of 10

2 comments:

Jen W said...

Thanks for the review- how strange that it would have coconut bits, which could get stuck in curly hair!

KeLLSTaR said...

It sure is isn't it Jen? I read a review where someone used Curly Wurly & their friend thought she had maggots in her hair... LOL....

Post a Comment