Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Brush Cleaning - The Miracle that is Olive Oil!

I can't remember where I read this (sorry!) but somewhere I found a great tip on cleaning makeup brushes that have been used to apply Gel Eyeliners, Mixing Mediums & other hard to get off makeup! All with things you should have in your home!

In the last few months I've discovered the joy of Gel Eyeliner & mixing medium.

The products I've used are:

  • Stila Smudge Pots
  • Inglot Matte Gel Eyeliners
  • Inglot Duraline (with Pure Pigments & Pressed Eyeshadows)

Love these products as they last on the eye FOREVER & are waterproof. However, because they are waterproof - they don't wash off easily with handwash or baby shampoo. SO you have to (or should) clean the brush before you can use them again.

Previously I used just Isocol to get the Gel Eyeliner off but it didn't always work well.

However, if you use Olive Oil, you can EASILY clean the product off your brush. I haven't used this method with other similar products from other brands, but I'm guessing it would for others too!

HOW I CURRENTLY CLEAN MY BRUSHES
(That have used Gel Eyeliner or Duraline)
  1. Collect your used makeup brush(es)
  2. Pour some Light Olive Oil into a small bowl (just a couple of millimetres will do)
  3. Pour some Baby Shampoo or Hand Wash in another small bowl, I also add a little Isocol (rubbing alcohol) if the handwash does not contain anti-bacterial properties (or using baby oil).
  4. Dip used makeup brush in bowl & draw small circles in the oil - you will see the pigment/colour just fall off the brush! I use the one area so the next brush doesn't accidently pick up the previous brushes pigment.
  5. Continue your little circles until you don't see any pigment.
  6. Dip oily makeup brush into Baby Shampoo or Handwash. Do the small circles again, this should get rid of the oil.
  7. Rinse throughly under a tap.
  8. If you find the brush is still oily get more Shampoo or Handwash on it. Continue until non-oily.
  9. Set out to dry.
The Olive Oil seems to condition the brushes. I've tried Vegetable oil too (it works as well) but I like the olive oil. It may be my imagination but I think it conditions better. I have not encountered any shredding with this method.

I have found that sometimes the Shampoo bowl gets an oily sheen if you're doing a lot of brushes at the same time. To counter this I'm thinking of putting the Baby Shampoo into an clean, empty handwash dispenser so I don't have to dip all my oily brushes into the same bowl - I'll just dispense what I need per brush. Will see if that makes it easier to get the oil off & wastes less product!

How do I clean my brushes only used with eyeshadow? I go straight to step 6 with the addition of having a separate bowl of hot water. I used to have a separate bowl of hot water in the olive oil method but I found it got an oily sheen on the top.

One day I'll buy a store made brush cleaner to try, but I think this method is great & will continue to use it at home.

Do you have any other methods that are similar or perhaps easier?

0 comments:

Post a Comment