Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Review: CND Solar Oil

Chatting to MsSherryBlossom on Twitter about nails this morning inspired me to blog about a product I've been using for about 5 years ---- Solar Oil.

I used to be an avid acrylic nail wearer a few years ago & learnt the benefits of using cuticle oil to keep your acrylic nails in good shape for longer as well as feeding your natural nails underneath. I stopped getting acrylics due to the cost of infills (up to $50 every 3 weeks). So the acrylics are gone, but I kept using Solar Oil.

Solar Oil is made by an American company called Creative Nail Design (aka CND) & is described as "A synergistic blend of naturally light oils and Vitamin E, designed to deeply penetrate and protect skin and nails."

The Solar Oil bottles have a brush just like a nail polish bottle. The 68ml version also includes a dropper.

Solar Oil definitely keeps my nails & cuticles moisturised. With regular use it also strengthens nails whilst keeping them flexible. Another huge benefit I found is that it stops my nails from peeling which was making them constantly break.

I try to make sure I use Solar Oil at least twice a day (in the morning & evening). I keep a pinkie bottle in my handbag, one at work & I have a 68ml bottle sitting on my computer desk so I can use it when browsing the WWW - especially blogs or forums.

The scent is quite subtle - Sweet Almond Oil. The oil absorbs remarkably quickly - it only takes a few minutes. I love the simple ritual of using Solar Oil, massaging it into your nails is quite relaxing

If I forget to use Solar Oil (which I have to say, is quite often if I'm super busy) I really notice how good it is. A few days after I stop my nails start to peel again, become prone to tearing & break easily.

How To Use Solar Oil
  • Brush it onto your nails
  • Gently massage the oil into each nail
  • That's it!
Other Uses


To Dry Nail Polish - Solar Oil can help dry your nail polish - a couple of minutes after you put the colour on, put a drop at the base of each nail, and then gently smooth it onto the nail. It also helps get rid of extra polish on the skin if needed.

Dry Skin - It's also great with dry skin. I put a couple of drops on the back of my hands to use like hand cream. It's great on elbows or any other places where you may find your skin dry, including lips.

Burns, Bites, Scars - After reading that Solar Oil was sometimes used in burn units in hospitals, I started using it on small burns, such as blisters on my heels from new shoes, or to heal mosquito bites faster. I've also found that it can fade scars. I've just read that it has anti-inflammatory properties so this is no surprise.

Hair - I don't do it often, but I have rubbed Solar Oil through my hair, similar to how you would use Moroccan Oil (just a couple of drops).

There's probably another 101 uses for it too!

Solar Oil comes in 3.7ml (aka "pinkie" bottle), 15ml, 68ml, & a huge 108ml refil bottle. It can be quite pricey - 15ml for $24.95AU, however it does last a long time - even the smaller bottles. I purchased my 108ml refill bottle for $50 (at a beauty supply store) & I haven't even used half the bottle in 5 years.

You can also get a product called Solar Balm but I have to say, it's not as good as Solar Oil, but that's another review.

Verdict

Solar Oil is one of my HG products & a must have in my world. I would definitely recommend picking up a little bottle & trying it out. As long as you use it every day you'll find yourself with healthier, stronger & well moisturised nails.

My Rating: 9 out of 10

2 comments:

MAKEUP BY SHERRY BLOSSOM said...

AWESOME!! Thanks for helping me!! This post definitely makes me want to try it more now!!

KeLLSTaR said...

You're so welcome Sherry, thanks for the inspiration! :) Let me know what you think when you try it!

Post a Comment